Longshoremen resort to violence in Longview Washinton port dispute

Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha. Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said. No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said. The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that’s staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

A strike, picketing, protesting, even blocking the tracks with your bodies…ok.

Taking hostages, threatening people?   That’s thuggery, and I’m calling the longshoremen out as a bunch of cowardly thugs in this instance.

34 Responses to Longshoremen resort to violence in Longview Washinton port dispute

1. Avatar of Vertigo Vertigo says:

Well, Billy, I don’t know what to say. This is a good issue and worthy of discussion. Too bad you picked a sensationalist source that missed the mark. Mike Baker is working on being another pundit instead of a worthy journalist….

“I said that every human life starts out as precious; something to be treasured, valued and treated with dignity and respect.

But then some of those lives veer off track, becoming murderers, pedophiles or in Mughniyeh’s case, a butchering terrorist with the blood of several hundred innocent people on his hands. At the point where these individuals choose to carry out heinous acts, they opt out of civilization and all those lofty, righteous ideals regarding the treatment of human life.”
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331316,00.html#ixzz1XOuG4hmv

Fox News…. hmm.. Lets take this all with a grain of salt, in fact, I will buy a round for everybody if those “Hostages” weren’t buddies of the workers… er thugs as you put it… who were enacting a strike and sat around BSing with these strikers. .

You completely missed the one truly valuable fact in the story, the one worthy of discussing… here, I will give it to you.

“but the company has hired a contractor that’s staffing a workforce of other union laborers.”

Yes, these men were protesting not the hiring of scabs, but of other organized laborors who were actually free market competing in a depressed economy. The difference? A subcontractor has to deal with them instead of the management.

I think this is worthy of discussion. The hyper sensationalized article of a FOX news reporter… thats a bit less worthy of comment.

• billybones says:

Dude, whatever the hell you are smoking…I want some. I didn’t quote fox news…I quoted an AP article…http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-wash-state-port-damage-rr-144921214.html…not sure who the hell MIKE Baker is, and i frankly don’t care. and the link you posted has fuck all to do with the story I posted…so when you get done with your drug induce trip…feel free to comment on the story at hand, bro.

LOL, its called research Billy. I checked your source, and AP isn’t a source. Mike Baker is a Fox news reporter, and if you re read the quote I gave, it was sensationalism to the max.

He sensationalized the issue, which you responded to the way he intended. I did give my comment on the story at hand at the end of my post. If you want, I will paste and clip that section again so you can focus on what I say… that is if you can’t focus on more than 2 paragraphs.

2. Avatar of Breezy Belle Breezy Belle says:

I came away from that with a couple of questions:

*The article states that no one was hurt or arrested. Toward the bottom, the article then quotes the terminal’s chief executive as saying that it was unfortunate that police needed to make arrests. So – which is it? Were arrests made? Or is the chief executive uninformed?

*The article mentions a contractor providing other union laborers. I would like to know what contractor that is – how can I find that out without hurting my feeble brain doing my own time consuming research? (hint-hint)

This is why sources are so important, pretty lady. A good source will leave you with all the information you need instead of leaving you hanging…Wondering about minor details that don’t fit into what they want you to believe.

These were employees who were working on those docks for years, and friends of the people they were supposedly “Terrrorizing”. This was obviously a stike. Although I cannot comment on which side was taking advantage of which (management v labor) I can tell you no friends were hurt in this shuffle or charges would have been made and people would have been arrested.

Lets throw some common sense into this, and throw the pundits away.

So, the chief executive is a dumb ass. Got it.

Re; supposed hostages who were, rather, coconspirators – what’s your source for that assertion?

I prefer not to rush to any judgement without knowing a bit more about the situation…

Ummmm, Verty – were you going to give me some links to your info, or just leave me hanging here………………..?

Six guards were trapped for a couple of hours after at least 500 Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha said. He initially referred to the guards as “hostages,” but later retracted that after the guards clarified no one had threatened them.

“The guards absolutely could not get out,” Duscha said. “They feared for their lives because of the size of the crowd and the hostility of the crowd.”

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/09/08/2174996/longshoremen-storm-wash-state.html#ixzz1XVG13r4W

Read the entire article, it presents a very different picture than the inflamitory article Billy posted.

Whats interesting, and I cannot locate it at this moment, but I found Billy’s original topic article, LA Times carried it, I believe. It too was attributed to Billy Baker who I further resarched to find the comperable article above published by FOX… ALSO authored by Billy Baker with very inflamitory language. .

Perhaps he changed his tactic, but these have very different styles. This one I can say is far more professional for its journalism.

But that didn’t tell me that the trapped guards and the union workers were buddies who worked this all out.

Actually – it provided some better detail than Billy’s original article… but, I only found myself more upset with the behavior that took place…. which pro’lly wasn’t what you had in mind when you put up the link, huh? :(

3. Support your unions says:

It’s the union way!

4. Henry says:

Rumor has it amongst the working people on the fruited plain, union workers at American Crystal cut inspection tags as they were leaving. Does that require a re-melt of the vandalized product due to a break in chain-of-custody? Does anyone know?

• Support your unions says:

Word on the street was that there were nooses hung on entrance gates to greet African American scabs as well.

I don’t know how the product was packaged… but, if the package is coded and the inspection tag code is cued to the package, then no. However – I wouldn’t imagine that they would have cut the tags if there was no consequence that would cost the company money. Typically, the thought process will be; we have to cost the company money to get their attention. So – yes, I would assume that the product had to be reworked… costing labor, and related production expenses, including setting back any current production supervisors and other non-union members (like, admin people and even possibly entry level laborers from an agency) were trying to push thru as best as they could.

• Henry says:

Rumor also has it that ACS is having no problem filling the positions. Apparently, they are tapping into workers from Georgia. I am rather saddened by the events. I now have rellies that are now out of work, insurance, money, etc. I haven’t talked to them, but I bet they wish they hadn’t joined the union in the right to work state.

In the current economy… and with jobs so few as a general rule, I’m sure those emptied jobs were filled up like lightening. And those folks, now earning a living, are certainly damn grateful for the opportunity. Hard to begrudge them a little good will – one good little (probably temporary) thing in this whole cluster…
      And on the other side of that coin, you have all those people who have invested their time, and their hard earned money, into that union… only to find themselves obligated to man a picket line, for “strike pay” – which is generally not what the union reps lead them to believe it will be.
      And then, of course, there’s the company… who, while they may be getting back to being fully staffed, is still losing money hand over fist trying to catch production up while training an entirely squeaky new workforce. (And rework product tainted by their former workforce on their way out the door.)

It’s all a hot mess.

5. billybones says:

Vert,
    if you are going to criticize my post, criticize my post…but don’t do it by citing someone who isn’t mentioned in my story writing about something totally unrelated to my story. Thats horseshit of the first degree.
    If you are suggesting that you researched and he wrote the piece…show me the link.
    and then tell me what the fuck the link is between a news story about some union morons and a commentary about terrorism.

Billy, I wasn’t criticizing your post, only your source. I believe I was very gentle on my first post, and illustrated my point with other examples of the authors articles.

I find it interesting how the last 2 topics you posted were about how the extreme rhetoric is damaging our society and counterproductive, then this post is lousy with empty extremist rhetoric and manipulating verbiage focused with the conservates anti union crosshairs.

Please Billy, tell me what a Jackbooted Thug really is? Its meaningless empty rhetoric.

Are you aware that if someone is “Kidnapped” and “Held Hostage” it is the authorities REQUIREMENT by federal law to prosecute even if its a waste of time, just like you as a social worker are requred to report any abuse … yet they didn’t prosecute, did they? This was an obvious inflamitory lie to make the union look bad.

How can you trust anything stated when they are making obvious lies. These employees were simply caught in their offices afraid to leave. Thats not JackBooted Thuggery (whatever that means), simple caution. Please refer to the quote I posted for Belle above for citation.

As I said, Billy, I was not attacking you, this is a valid issue; but only if you actually look deeper into it. This was a standard strike, usually strikers do go a little overboard, but thats part of the Collective Bargaining dynamic.

What the interesting issue hiding out in there is, the “Scabs” were also unionized workers, and what does that really mean to the Collective Bargaining dynamic. THAT is an issue, not just a conservative attack on an important element of the American Business dynamic that should never be removed…. unions.

• Henry says:

“Please Billy, tell me what a Jackbooted Thug really is?”
        I’ll help you out, Vert.

Wait – a standard strike?? Damaging company property – cutting lines, spilling product, tipping cars… standard strike procedure?

Nope. That’s bull shit. That’s flat out pushing the envelope. And there are UNION rules in place about how a strike should be conducted… and how it should not be conducted. Maybe the union should given some consideration to maintaining it’s own integrity by following it’s own rules.

Now, I fully understand that unions are going to step a bit outside their own little “good on paper” rules… and that’s just kinda always been how it is. But – to be fair – just because it’s common practice, doesn’t mean that someone can’t call bullshit and ask them to be accountable. The methods – in a -ahem- civilized society – leave a sour taste behind… especially when considering that the core basic purpose of a union is to “civilize” a work place, on behalf of the employees. I mean – really – are the executives and higher ups tip toeing around the parking lot during shift and flattening tires to ensure their slave labor can work OT? Nope.

I’m all for unions – absolutely – when they function as they should. But when the big union machine turns into a rouge band of assholes causing thousands of dollars worth of damages – then I have an issue. The union members sacrificed their integrity to behave like destructive bullies. (The hostage/coconspirator issue aside here.) And on that note, I call bull shit.

If you work for me, and you are unhappy with your employment arrangement… take it up with me, absolutely… even take it upon yourself to march up and down in front of my business, or, hell, even my home, and shout and wave signs, and cause a small raucous. What the fuck ever. But when you step foot onto my property… and start destroying it? TOO FAR.

Unacceptable “standard strike” behavior. In my opinion, that kind of crap does nothing but hurt the union’s cause.

• Security says:

Longshoremen have long been aligned with organized crime and basically are thugs by nature. Put a banner up and wait for the brothers to support the work action…they do not roll that way out east…had my fill of the union thug crap when I closed out a project on Long Island many years ago with the Carpenters Union of all folks…their business agents travel in a group and try to intimidate…must be a NY/NJ thing.

6. It's not just in NY/NJ says:

“Allegations of racial slurs and racist symbols directed at replacement workers and security personnel contracted by American Crystal have been leveled against union supporters picketing outside the company’s plants.

Traill County Sheriff Mike Crocker confirmed that “there have been racial statements made to security people” outside the company’s Hillsboro plant.

Crocker also said he recently saw a monkey-like figure hanging from a noose attached to a large inflatable rat outside the plant. He said that by the next day the monkey and the noose had been removed. A photo of the scene has also been circulating on the Internet.”

Union thuggery isn’t an exception, it’s the rule. Wait for the escalation once they’ve realized that they are indeed replaceable.