Odd Couple works to expand oversight of Patriot Act

Republican Rand Paul…and Democrat Patrick Leahy are working together to try pass legislation that would increase oversight of government surveillance powers.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy├é┬áPatrick Leahy (D-VT) and Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) introduced an amendment to the PATRIOT Act on Monday that attempts to safeguard American’s civil liberties by increasing oversight of government surveillance powers.

The Leahy-Paul amendment [PDF] requires an expansion of public reporting on the use of surveillance powers granted by the PATRIOT Act. It would also require the government to prove a suspect was linked to a foreign group or power before being able to obtain highly sensitive records.

Last week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker John Boehner agreed to call for a vote to extend three controversial provisions of the PATRIOT Act before May 27, when they are set to expire, without any change to the legislation.

The bill would extend the “roving wiretap” provision, “lone wolf” measure and “business records” provision until June 1, 2015.

The three provisions allow law enforcement authorities to conduct surveillance without identifying the person or location to be wiretapped, permits surveillance of “non-US” persons for whatever reason, and authorizes law enforcement to gain access to “any tangible thing” during investigations.

neither of these gentlemen is someone I normally agree with, but today… they both get a drink on the house.

22 Responses to Odd Couple works to expand oversight of Patriot Act

1. Avatar of Breezy Belle Breezy Belle says:

Which two gentlemen get the drink on the house?
    Reid/Boehner or Paul/Leahy?

Reid and Boehner at best get a swift kick in the ass and told to get the hell out, we don’t serve their kind here. Both are permanently on my persona non grata list.

Paul and Lehy get a 1 day reprieve, and drinks on the house…then they go back to being persona non grata

3. Avatar of Breezy Belle Breezy Belle says:

This is America – we don’t need no stinking civil liberties.

That, and we Americans trust our government to act in our collective best interests, always, implicitly.

Ok – I’m sorry – I tried to say that with a straight face… but it’s not possible!

Other than you, who said it? Bet a drink on Billy it was a TeaPartier……

Got me, dude. Now you have me wondering about my ability to have an independent thought… hmmm. I swear it just ran thru my head and out my fingertips on the keyboard… ;)

Are you saying I sound like a Tea Partier? Are they sarcastic, too? :D

LOL, I thought that was a quote, Pretty Lady, the double negative isn’t something you usually use…… Don’t need no???

Just trying life outside my typical box, vert. :D

If anything, it’s probably something movie-related that stuck in my head… almost sounds like something a little Eastwood-y, don’t you think?

Ok – wait… this popped into my head: “we don’t need no stinkin’ badges” – what’s that from? Google search brings up Bogart, Mel Brooks…

So – I stole it from hollywood, and twisted to suit my purposes… :)

LOL, makes it interesting…. on an aside, if you are curious why I haven’t been my usual perky self, I was activated and am in Bismark doing flood duty. Posting from the University of Mary, and have a SPECTACULAR view of the river as we speak… although its calm and happy now, its going to turn into a monster in the next 5 days!

Enjoy the view, but remember – the river doesn’t make exceptions for charm – so you stay safe!

I should be safe, Although this REMF (glares at Andy) does volunteer for the dangerous jobs, it sounds like I am going to be assigned to be a gofer…

Its hard having special job skills, but someone has to do it..

Well, in good news – gofer duties should give you opportunity to put on that bulk you mentioned… ;)

Not with how they are feeding us. Frankly you would expect better for feeding extremely hard working soldiers in general. Breakfast consists of hash browns and scrambled eggs soaking in this thick clear substance….. Sack lunches have one sandwich with less than 1/10 lb of meat. Its not enough for me, and for those who put in 12 hour days filling and hefting sandbags…. well, they should be ashamed.

First day they ran out of food and 600 went hungry. Compliments of Doublewood Inn.

4. bob says:

Yep, Blazing Saddles and I think, Sierra Madre.

5. bob says:

Yep, still alive. Just have to look in on occasion to see if HairOld has gotten to ya. I notice that Edward is a name you can type with only the left hand. Interesting, ain’t it?

I’m not sure what’s more interesting – surmising why that would be beneficial, or wondering why you would notice something like that… ;)

Harold/Edward gets to me on a consistent basis… I try to resist the urge, but too often I can’t help myself! :)

Good to see you… enjoy the weekend!

6. bob says:

Nah, Vert…just a former EP poster who has to check in now and then to see how the ‘war on the ignorant’ is going.
    Snickers? If I can get ‘em, I like Snaps.