just to stir things up….thanks andy.

John Glenn said this that should make you think a little:

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.
In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the
month of January. That’s just one American city,
about as deadly as the entire war-torn country of Iraq .
When some claim that President Bush shouldn’t
have started this war, state the following:
a. FDR led us into World War II.
b. Germany never attacked us ; Japan did.
From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost …
an average of 112,500 per year.
c. Truman finished that war and started one in Korea
North Korea never attacked us .
From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost …
an average of 18,334 per year.
d. John F. Kennedy started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.
Vietnam never attacked us.
e. Johnson turned Vietnam into a quagmire.
From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost ..
an average of 5,800 per year.
f. Clinton went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent.
Bosnia never attacked us ..
He was offered Osama bin Laden’s head on a platter three
times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on
multiple occasions.
g. In the years since terrorists attacked us , President Bush
has liberated two countries, crushed the Taliban, crippled
al-Qaida, put nuclear inspectors in Libya , Iran , and, North Korea
 without firing a shot, and captured a terrorist who
slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.
The Democrats are complaining
about how long the war is taking.
But Wait
It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno to take the Branch Davidian compound. That was a 51-day operation.. We’ve been looking for evidence for chemical weapons in Iraq for less ti me than it took Hillary Clinton to find the Rose Law Firm billing records. It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick. It took less time to take Iraq than it took to count the votes in Florida!!! Our Commander-In-Chief is doing a GREAT JOB ! The Military morale is high! The biased media hopes w e are too ignorant to realize the facts.
But Wait   There’s more!
JOHN GLENN (on the Senate floor – January 26, 2004)
Some people still don’t understand why military personnel do what they do for a living. This exchange between Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive
impromptu speech, but it’s also a good example of one
man’s explanation of why men and women in the armed
services do what they do for a living.
This IS a typical , though sad, example of what some who have never served think of the military.
Senator Metzenbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn):
‘How can you run for Senate when you’ve never held a real job?’
Senator Glenn (D-Ohio): ‘I served 23 years in the United StatesMarine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn’t my checkbook, Howard; it was my life on the line. It was not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank. ‘I ask you to go with me .. . as I went the other day… to a veteran’s hospital and look those men … with their mangled bodies . in the eye, and tell THEM they didn’t hold a job! You go with me to the Space Program at NASA and go, as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee… and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their DADS didn’t hold a job.  You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery , where I have more friends buried than I’d like to remember, and you watch those waving flags. You stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell ME that those people didn’t have a job?
What about you?

For those who don’t remember During W.W.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney representing the Communist Party in the USA .
 Now he’s a Senator!
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran.

16 Responses to just to stir things up….thanks andy.

1. existentialist says:

Ah, more mindless e-mail forwards with snippets and factoids that are supposed to make me support wanton bloodshed. Keep banging those drums…maybe I’ll jump on the bandwagon in time for the invasion of Iran.

P.S. Iraq didn’t attack us, either, and the only thing we’ve done by invading them is assist the recruitment efforts of our enemies. (And if I remember correctly, Japan was a known Axis Power prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor…wow, a legitimate connection!) The subsequent quagmires that were mentioned all have the same thing in common…the bogeyman. You can’t fight an ideology with bullets…how fucking difficult is that to comprehend? You’d think that the US government’s attack of economic systems and subjective terminology rather than focusing on the legitimate threats (like the people who did attack us) would wake people up by now.

Quick question…how many American soldiers died in Bosnia?

2. existentialist says:

By the way, Howard Metzenbaum never represented the Communist Party; that’s an urban legend. This is what’s wrong with this country, the fact that the ignorant spread their stupidity like it’s a fucking pandemic through ill-researched mass communication. But even if Metzenbaum had represented the Communists, what difference does it make? My word, a person willing to defend the rights of those whose opinions aren’t mainstream…why, that’s just un-American, now isn’t it?

exy: you fight the purveyors and followers of the ideology with bullets. If the otherside says you’re in war..whether or not no buy into it…you are in a war. You fight either way.
    By the way, I don’t care if Metzenbaum represented the CPA. Whoever needs an attorney should have one.

4. bisonaudit says:

Kind of depends on who exactly the ‘other side’ is. ‘Evil doers’ as our President likes to refer to ‘them’ as strikes me as a shockingly broad and amorphous definition of the ‘other side.’

5. Grootch says:

Yes, clearly because people calling themselves Democrats 40-50 years ago have made decisions leading to war, we should support war whole heartedly today. I mean, we MUST cheerlead for our team no matter what, and we certainly don’t want to appear bigotted, do we?

I mean thats just sound logic.

It is a matter of perception. We all find fault with those with whom we do not agree. I offered this up as another view. We have all this crap being spewed by both sides, predominately about war. Those who have fought them, have a different view of them. They also resent the elitest who somehow feel “above” it on moral grounds or what ever and feels above them somehow. The great failing of both idealogues on these issues is they somehow swing and miss in dealing with the vast middle majority on these issues.
    It is that vast middle majority that determines ost elections. Looked down upon by the quasi intellectual effete left and taken for granted by the conservative right. Just a point.

purposefully posting provacative propaganda to perpetuate political pettifoggery….the bartender labors on in a vain attempt to receive over 500 hits in a day and assuage his feelings of mediocrity.

8. existentialist says:

Andy,

Since I haven’t personally fought in a war, perhaps you can enlighten me. Is is all rainbows and gumdrops, or am I correct in my assumption that it causes human suffering and is something to be avoided whenever possible? If I am indeed correct, I wouldn’t consider that effete intellectualism or moral snobbery…just common sense.

9. Grootch, swing swing swing says:

I notice the “conservative right” doesn’t get the same type of condemning adjective like “quasi-intellectual” and “effete?”

I will assume the latter is your childish attempt to convey the belief that liberals aren’t “real men.” Please, grandpa, enlighten me on what it takes to be a “real man” like you.

to the other extreme I use american taliban and nazis for christ. I have mocked the fact that there are perhaps 250,000 real republicans, and 50 million disgusted democrats. Who could cozy up to the likes of Cheney, if the other option is morally repugnant (more than that bag of crap..), I’m not an idealogue Grootch.. Childish…hardly..buying wholeheartedly into an ideology that has failed at it’s every turn because it sounds just too good..well kid..now that is. I used to be like that…now I’m not. It takes a while to see behind the screen at the wizards joint…(now the next line to this string of logic & shitty discourse, that I reserve for dhimmees of all stripes will be omitted for you because I like you). The conservative right, as you refeer to them, at least will stand up for the country and take their beating in the press. Funny thing, they keep getting elected…then the country has an upheaval..elects the other guys..they screw up, then we hold our noses and put the other guys in. I use quasi intellectual and effete because that is a prime characteristic of those ivory tower know-it-alls (in theory only) since they haven’t haven’t created anything but government jobs for the most part…and they enjoy speaking down to us lowly masses. I openly question their manhood and sense of duty (relatively non existant), they want all the rights yet are unwilling to put anything on the line..no risk…all reward..why? Because when they get into power..they mandate it. Then others have to fix it. Grootch: Real man…if you don’t know son..I can’t tell you. You gotta stand for something..and I believe that you do. I won’t question your manhood, as I think that being a cyber cunt is pretty lame. Don’t type anything about someone that you lack the balls to say to his face in bar or in the lot behind the bar. So playing schoolyard shit with veiled taunts don’t cut it in the world of “men” for one thing. We can discuss this stuff with out acting like twits.(another characteristic one needs to avoid..) Relax..and the grandpa shit..ok by me..I still teach linebackers how to hit (based on years of experience) and with two shattered ankles & legs still engage my 220-230 # linemen in teaching shedding drills in a very hands on manner. So I got that going for me. I work in the company of tough men in a senior leadership position…so I guess, I’m the wrong motherfucker to ask.

11. td says:

I want a return to traditional republican values. The federal government should have a national defense role and let states govern themselves.

12. remrafdn says:

John Glenn is a genuine hero and role model. When he was on the space shuttle there was a cartoon of the shuttle with the turn signal flashing. I can relate to that. Hearing is one of the first things to go. Sometimes when my turn signals don’t cancel, I don’t hear them and they are still flashing at my next turn. My mother had a poster on her wall,”Old age is not for sissies”, a quote from Art Linkletter, I think.

remrafdn: I agree, evry day on the Kennedy Expressway as I am geezing along at a mundane 65-70mph being passed by like I am standing still by young, blackberry embedded, impatient whippersnappers..only to catch up with them in 5 minutes at the inevitable jam up. Like the old bull and the young bull….

14. remrafdn says:

There was an old Quaker lady who caught up with a discourteous young driver at a stop light. She rolled down her window and told him,”When thee gets home to thy kennel I hope thy mother bites thee”. I always wanted to tell that one to the local talk show host who lost his temper and called an abusive caller a sonofa bitch.

..just tell him to shut up and go lay by his dish.

16. remrafdn says:

On this date in 1998 John Glenn became the oldest man in space. Also, Duane Allman was killed on this date in 1971.